Monday, September 29, 2008

In Memoriam of Owen Michael Hollar

Owen Michael Hollar, 3, of Harrisonburg died Tuesday June 17, 2008, at the Rockingham Memorial Hospital in Harrisonburg. Owen was born Dec. 29, 2004, in Norfolk, Va.

He is survived by his parents, Travis Michael and Dena Carrier Hollar of Harrisonburg. He attended the Pre-school program at South River Elementary School in Grottoes.

Owen was diagnosed with Leigh's Disease, a form of Mitochondrial Disease, two years ago. His courage battling this illness brought family, friends and community together giving the entire family a sense of strength. Owen could light up a room with his bright smile and big, blue eyes.

In addition to his parents, he is survived by a brother, Andrew "Drew" L. Hollar, age 5; maternal grandparents, Raymond and Wanda Carrier of Mount Sidney; paternal grandparents, Michael and Shelby Hollar of Edinburg; a great-grandfather, Eugene McIlwee; great-grandmother Ruth Hollar; two aunts and uncles, Chad and Michelle Carrier Sligh and Matthew and Stacey Hollar Smith. His three surviving cousins, Lynsey and Cole Sligh and Madison Smith shared lots of smiles and giggles with Owen.

He was loved by his entire family and will be missed by all who knew him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dana & Sarah,

Wanda & I will be thinking of you both as you run for Owen and Evan next week. Owen filled a space in our hearts that we never knew was empty. Best of luck and Thanks to you both.

Grandparents of Owen
Raymond & Wanda Carrier

krisrose said...

Hi, My name is Krista Dennis and I had the wonderful privledge of being Owen's childcare provider a couple days a week. I'll never forget the first time I met Owen. His BIG blue eyes and smile would light up the room. When Owen was diagnosed with Leigh's disease my heart just dropped. I wanted to be there for Owen and his family no matter what. Owen was a part of my family...he felt like my own. I will always hold a special place in my heart for him! I count it a blessing to have been a part of his life here on earth. He was an inspiration to us all. Love you Owen! You are now safe in Jesus arms!